Thursday, January 8, 2009

BROCCOLI!

I LOVE broccoli.  LOVE it.  I cook it almost every night, it is so delicious and good for you.  I watched a show on Food Network last night, something about comfort food with Guy Fieri and the winner would get $25,000.  A former SWAT officer from California won the prize with his mac & cheese and his tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich (sorry, I don't know the name of the show).  So, that got me thinking about comfort food and I made 3 heads of broccoli tonight. We had it with lentils.  YUM!  Just the kind of grub one needs on a cold night like this.  

So, here's my broccoli before cooking (and please ignore my dirty stovetop! eek!):




And here it is all steamed up:

 

While steaming I sauteed 4 cloves of garlic (sliced into large pieces) and a couple of pinches of red pepper flakes in lots of olive oil.  I then transferred the broccoli and some of the water into a large bowl and added the oil/garlic mix.

When the king arrived home from work I ladled some lentils into a bowl and added one of the heads of broccoli.  He said, "mmmmmmmmmmm."

Try it, you'll like it!

2 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

I've come to love broccoli in the UK. It's not a staple of our diet in Cuba. Cabbage is. And my wife loves broccoli. You're right, there's a sense of comfort when you eat it, especially in cold weather.

Greetings from London.

will said...

Veges are terrific. While not a vegetarian, I do prefer them and broccoli is also a favorite. My fav recipe? Steamed and then eaten with no seasoning. Pretty basic, huh?